Monday, February 06, 2006

ALMOST PULLED IT
From the true stories of idiots department.

This email was forwarded to me from a friend.Thought everyone would enjoy it. It is from the "Combat Carry" internet forum. Posted by Matt on www.combatcarry.com.

Yesterday, I was in my local bicycle shop, having some minor mechanical work done. I had ridden in, and was the only customer in the store, so there were no cars in the customer lot.While the wrench was working on the bike, I conversed with the manager for a bit, then drifted over to drool on some new bike toys. The shop is pretty open, with a low counter seperating the retail area from the shop, with a storage area in the back comprised of racks of shelving. There is, as it turns out, a door from the back area out to the rear parking area behind the store.One of the part time guys there decided to play a little joke on his colleagues. Thinking there were no customers in the store, he slams the back door open and announces "This is a robbery. Every Mother F$##er on the floor!"With our relative positions, I did not have a good view of the guy, but could see him through a rack of bicycles next to whereI was standing. With the backlighting from the open door, I could not clearly see his hands.I was carrying my pistol in a fanny pack, but my phone was on the strap of my Camelback, which was with my bike. I crouched down at the end of the row of bikes I was by, and moved back so there was no clear path through the frames between me and what I believed to be an armed robber. I opened the side zipper of the pack, reached in and secured a good grip on the pistol, pulling it out slightly so the beavertail and bottom rear ofthe grip were clear of the zipper (so it would not hang up if I needed to pull it the rest of the way). Thumb in top of the safety, trigger finger along the frame, ready to draw if needed.My thought process as the time was to watch and see what the guy did - if he was just after the register, I would have done nothing more. Seemed like an eternity, but it was probably only a few seconds, then the manager starts yelling at the guy"God damn it, , you scared the hell out of me. And there is a customer in the shop!". The guy says "oh, (crap), I'm sorry!"I pushed the gun back into the fanny pack, zipped it back up and stood up. The "robber" apologized to me for his stupid joke,and the manager was very apologetic.I suggested to the guy that doing things like that could get someone hurt. His response was "I didn't really have a gun, nobody could have been hurt".I thought he was going to pass out when I patted the fanny packand said "I do, and I had no way of knowing you were playing".He turned pretty white.The manager and I talked for a while, as he had never met anyone with a concealed firearm license. He's kind of a hippie,so I expected some negative commentary, but he was actually quite interested in concealed carry and guns in general.I left him with an invitation to go to the range some time,and information on the local range that provides the classes.Aside from being separated from my phone, I think it went pretty well.

AddThis

Bookmark and Share

Blog Archive

About Me

Norm Bettencourt is the Creator/President of Tactical Self Defense which specializes in personal protection tactics against modern day threats of violence. For more information visit www.tactselfdefense.com