Monday, January 29, 2007

SELF DEFENSE-IT'S ALL IN YOUR ATTITUDE

I get a ton or emails asking me for advice on self defense situations, but there was one that stood out in my mind last week that I wanted to address in this blog. It was a long email so I will cut to the chase of it. The writer did not want to use extreme force or use any self defense weapon such as a stun gun to protect himself because he didn't want to injure the attacker but to only control him.

Many of my students who first walk into the doors of my training center walk in with the same "deadly" attitude and soon learn to change it because it will get them killed. Self defense is 90% mental and only 10% physical if you have an attitude that you only wish to subdue your attacker you won't be able to defend yourself out on the street because you will be in "defensive mode" instead of "offensive mode".

Your attacker does not give a crap about your well being, he will kick, spit, rape and humiliate you if he can. He does not care if you live or die, he only cares about his objective which is your cash, body or what ever his motive is. If you have an attitude of "I don't want to hurt him" then you will have the wrong mindset when defending yourself, making you have less of a fight. You owe it to your family and friends to come home safe. With an attitude less than "I am going to rip your face off for even thinking of picking on me" is like going to a gun fight with a knife, you just aren't properly prepared to handle the situation.

AddThis

Bookmark and Share

Blog Archive

About Me

Norm Bettencourt is the Creator/President of Tactical Self Defense which specializes in personal protection tactics against modern day threats of violence. For more information visit www.tactselfdefense.com