Monday, July 24, 2006

Grappling vs Striking

One of my readers sent me an email asking me what I thought was better for a self defense system a style that incorporated striking methods or one with grappling methods? My response both. But don't be fooled when I say grappling I don't mean wrestling and the like. People see the UFC and think that they will have the upper hand on someone if they learn grappling skills. The answer is correct to some extent and incorrect in the other. On the street you don't have time playing the grappling chess game with an attacker. The longer you stay on the ground the more dangerous the situation becomes especially if your attacker has friends...you will get your head kicked in and curb bashed within seconds. This holds true for your striking skills also, self defense is not give and take, your not there to exchange blows. Have the battle is already won if you know these truths.

AddThis

Bookmark and Share

Blog Archive

About Me

Norm Bettencourt is the Creator/President of Tactical Self Defense which specializes in personal protection tactics against modern day threats of violence. For more information visit www.tactselfdefense.com