Sunday, April 20, 2014

Happy Easter & A FREE Gift For You

Hi Everyone,

I hope everyone had a great Easter. I have decided to give everyone a free Easter gift today by posting Chapter 1 called Less Is More When It Comes To Personal Protection from Secrets of Street Combat. If you want more info on the book just go to http://tactselfdefense.com/secrets-of-street-combat-ebook/
Enjoy the read.






Through that experience with violence I had quickly learned that by knowing multiple personal protection techniques I was actually doing myself more harm than good.


Remembering back to that experience that forced me to put my martial arts skills up against a street fighter I remember feeling the adrenaline dump hit me full blast. My limbs felt heavy, my heart was pounding inside my mouth and I was shaking like a leaf.


I remember thinking to myself at the standoff what technique should I use and trying to go through what I had learned all those years in the martial arts dojo.


For the life of me I could not put two and two together, all the information that I had running around in my head was confused, distorted and all mixed up. I realized later on that this was all due to the effects that adrenaline played on my mind and body.


Years later while doing research to create my system I found out through talking to 911 operators, listening to 911 recordings and watching people perform fine motor skill tasks while under the stress of adrenaline that even the simplest of tasks such as remembering your name can be difficult while under the influence of an adrenaline dump.


There are countless recordings of people under distress telling a 911 operator that there is an intruder inside their home. When the 911 operator asks for there address the caller cannot remember their own address even after living at the same location for over 15 years.


So how will you be able to remember complicated, elaborate techniques such as move to the right, pivot, take a step with your left foot while using your right hand to twist your attacker’s wrist, etc. You’re not. It’s just too difficult to remember on a good day let alone while your life is being threatened.

Through my research I realized that the axiom “less is more” is particularly true when it comes to self defense. That by mastering only a few personal protection techniques instead of countless ones your reaction time will be much quicker. If you know too many techniques your brain will go through all the techniques that you know and will pick out which technique is best to use for that given situation.


Through all of the analyzing that your brain will do shifting through all those techniques that you know it will begin confusing techniques from one another, creating chaos in your mind. This all occurs in a split second inside your mind as your attacker is standing in front of you, this is what is called “Hicks Law”.


“Hicks Law”- The final result is that your reaction time now increases tremendously due to having too many self defense techniques to shift through making you too slow to respond to your enemy’s stimuli.

I remember when a suite in my apartment complex was on fire and everyone in the building was evacuating. A gentleman in front of me was trying to open a locked door but his hand was shaking so bad that he could not place his key in the key hole. This is a task that the gentlemen must have performed thousands of times over in his life time. When he needed to perform it the most he could not due to how adrenaline was affecting his body.



“K.I.S.S Keep It Simple & Similar”

Placing a key inside a key hole is considered a “fine motor skill”. As you can see this is next to impossible to do while adrenaline is pumping full speed through your veins.

The big kicker is that most self defense and martial arts techniques are placed in the fine motor skill category, so how are you going to remember or let alone perform them while under the stress of adrenaline? You’re not.

Another kicker I found out through my experience and research was that your personal protection techniques have to be simple and “similar” in movement from one another so that you can perform them quickly and you can remember them during a threatening situation.

Most personal protection and martial arts techniques require you to perform one task if an individual is holding a knife in his right hand, but if the individual is holding a knife in the opposite hand it will require you to move and do a completely different maneuver to defend yourself.




Note: In 1960 Researchers Franklin Henry and Donald Rogers found that not only does increasing the number of responses affect your reaction time, but also by increasing the complexity of the tasks, induces stress that can adversely affect your reaction time. While doing simple reaction time test, they told each subject to place their finger next to a switch and when they hear a certain sound, they are to flip the switch. After each subject’s time was registered and recorded they used the same group and did the same test but added another task to do after flipping the switch. The subjects were told to flip a second switch after completing the second task. In both tests, the only time recorded was the time it took to push the first button and Henry and Rogers found that the added stress of having a more complex task to perform caused each subject’s reaction time to increase by an average of 31%.


This is much too complicated to remember when your life is on the line and you are feeling the warmth of your urine running down your leg as someone has you at knife or gun point. Your techniques must be similar in movement to one another regardless if you are defending yourself from a punch, knife or gun attack. Remember the K.I.S.S acronym Keep It Simple & Similar.

AddThis

Bookmark and Share

Blog Archive

About Me

Norm Bettencourt is the Creator/President of Tactical Self Defense which specializes in personal protection tactics against modern day threats of violence. For more information visit www.tactselfdefense.com